Tuesday, January 6, 2009

LONG TERM MEMORY

So, I was born on December 23, 1990. Being that we're in January 2009, I've lived 18 years. Eighteen years and 14 days to be exact. Anyway, "LONG TERM MEMORY." Studies prove that because of LTM there are things that us homosapiens might be able to remember for as long as a lifetime. Lets see... being that I'm only 18, some may claim that my life has only begun. Has it really? Its true I can't remember things as way back as the day my mother gave birth to me. I was born in Brooklyn Hospital. How do I know this? From my own mere memory? Not exactly. I know this because I was told so. For Christs sake, I dont think I can even remember the day I learned how to ride a bike!

Besides that.
Maybe a little cocky on my part but I would consider my memory above average. I once remember noticing someone in Queens Center Mall who I had seen before on my train ride home from the BIG city. With that said, the human brain is bound to remember things for a long time if it happens to catch your attention. Thats how it works. Thats why its so hard to repress memories of losing loved ones- the more traumatic the experience, the more likely you are to remember it for a lifetime.

Thinking back to my past, I can remember to as far back as when I was four. Four... that was the age when I was living in Dominican Republic with both my parents, and my younger brothers. My mom and my father were both on the verge of seperating. Yeah, I said "seperating." Three kids together, but never married. Anyway, we had a big house in D.R. From what I can remember, each bedroom had its own bathroom. Well, most of the bedrooms at least. We had a huge gate in the front of our house. It was so big that it took more than one person to close it. Once my brother and I were closing it when it slammed on my finger. The whole nail came off.

So yeah, I was four and I was asleep. My brother was also. The same brother who helped me remove the nail from my finger. We happened to be sleeping in the same room in our big house that morning. I dont remember if we were sleeping from the night before or if we were taking a nap that day. Thats besides the point. So my mom comes in the room... crying, yelling, screaming, running... things of that nature.
Heres my LTM: she shook my body, woke me up crying; begging for my brother and I to wake up. So we did. My mom crouches into the corner of the room right by the bed... still crying. Next thing I remember, I'm standing in front of her and so is my brother. My dad comes in the room. GUN. There goes my father, holding a gun.

Let me break it down for you. He was trying to shoot her. If it wasn't for my brother and I waking up, and standing in front of her as she crouched scared to death, she would of probably been dead right now.

I know what you're probably thinking... my dad's a crazy motherfucker! Maybe he was, no argument there. But not so much now.

No comments:

Post a Comment